Dark Green and Bright Green Environmentalism
During the Q&A session for the In Conversation Forum organised by the Raffles Girls School, a student mentioned that talking about the environment has become cliche and gives the feeling of “not again”. We replied that this is partly our fault, partly the fault of environmentalists who turns people off with our Dark Green environmentalism.
We have been focusing on the Dark Green mindset for too long and it’s time to embrace the Bright Green mindset. Our mindsets shape our actions and it is important to adopt the right mindset. There’s nothing wrong with both mindsets except that Dark Green tends to inspire fear and denial while Bright Green tends to inspire creativity and action.
Learn more about Dark and Bright Green from Worldchanging.
It’s about sacrifice and the horror stories.
Use less and buy less.
Switch off the lights and use less energy
Save the whales.
Save the polar bears, the polar bears are dying.
Don’t do this, don’t do that.
It’s about pessimism and negative mindsets.
It’s about “I have a nightmare”.
It’s about solutions and innovations.
Think possibilities and green technologies.
It’s about creating jobs and improving lives.
Better quality lives and environment for all.
Embrace green businesses and clean energy.
Achieve energy and water independence.
It’s about optimism and positive mindsets.
It’s about “I have a dream”.
The time has come to focus on Bright Green and let’s work together towards a bright green future.
Photo credit: Raiden256.
- Thoughts After Watching Disruption
- Why We Do What We Do
- Asia is Green Revamps with a New Focus on Asia’s Bright Green Future
- Changing People’s Mindset and Shifting Culture
- Circle of Concern and Circle of Influence
- Communication of CSR through Social Media
- Waste is not Waste Provides Online Waste Exchange for Businesses and Organisations in Singapore and Malaysia
- Green Events Guide
- 3 things you can do today on food waste
- 7 Habits of Green Conscious S’poreans